You won’t realize the capability of this feature until you’ve been assigned the task of managing a few hundred invites at the last moment. These can be a bunch of wedding invites or emailing customers, vendors, contractors, invitations to corporate events, or even employees. In this article, we are going to discuss how to do Mail Merge in Outlook.
What is Outlook Mail Merge?
A mail merge is a feature in Outlook that permits you to send personalized messages to a large number of people at a single time without them knowing who else you have sent it to. This is the most efficient way to have bulk messages look more personal, send everybody their information (like a username and password) or send out Christmas cards.
Why Should You Prefer Outlook Mail Merge?
- Mail Merge allows you to send personalized bulk emails with Microsoft Outlook within a few minutes with a few clicks.
- The Benefit of customizing the email message is the recipient will possibly read it.
- MS Outlook provides different options to manage and send mass emails. Especially, it should be important to know how to configure this way of sending emails as it will be essential to send particular emails to different users at specific times.
- Sending it separately has become out-of-date and Mail Merge is very time efficient.
There are three things required to perform the Mail Merge. All three are part of Microsoft Office. This works in Office 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016. What you require
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Outlook
MS Excel as Data Source– You need to put your data source in Excel. In case you are emailing customers, this information would probably include First Name, Last Name, Title, Company, Sales Rep, email address, etc.
How to do Mail Merge in Outlook using MS Word -All mail merges are performed in MS Word. You just have to follow these steps.
1. Open the MS Word.
2. Now switch to the Mailings Tab.
3. Click on the Start Mail Merge menu and select the E-Mail Messages option.
4. Press on the select Recipients menu and choose the Use Existing List option.
5. Scroll and pick the Excel spreadsheet you created earlier, now click on the Open button and select the respective worksheet from Excel.
6.Compose the body of your message using Word
7. Now insert the Merge Field menu and choose the field containing the data you want to insert.
8. Press the Finish & Merge menu and choose the Send E-Mail Messages option and also add Subject to your emails.
MS Outlook-The final step is to go to Microsoft Outlook, Just click on the Sent folder and you will be able to see all the emails that were sent. Each recipient should receive a personalized email message.
Disadvantages of Outlook Mail Merge
1. It is very easier to send the message and place the recipients on the TO or BCC Line of the message.
2. If you have to email out 500 personalized email messages, there is the probability that your server at work or ISP may not allow it because there is a daily limit on the number of emails.
3. There must be a data source, like an excel file for your recipients. Although It is likely to do the mail merge using Outlook Contacts or People, it limited the fields you can include in your mail merge.