In this blog post, we will learn how to repair corrupted DBX file in Outlook express, follow till the end.
A DBX file is a folder created by Outlook Express and if it gets corrupted then it can lead to data loss and the user may lose their valuable data for forever. That’s why it is very necessary to fix any type of corruption in time. DBX files are also prone to corruption and there could be multiple reasons behind the corruption of DBX files.
Reasons Behind the Corruption of DBX Files
There could be various reasons for DBX files corruption that is mentioned below:
- If DBX files cross its limit of 2GB.
- Malware Attacks.
- Power Interruptions.
- Hard Disk Failure.
- Some Human Errors.
Microsoft has discontinued Outlook Express but some users are still using it. OE included with internet explorer version 3.0 to 6.0. It stores emails and other data into the DBX files that are located in the “Documents and Settings” by default of the user’s directory and inside the “Stores Folder”.
Manual Method to Repair Corrupted DBX Files
Before repairing the DBX file there is a need to locate corrupt DBX files and to do this you have to start a Registry Editor to know the location. After that, perform the manual method to repair DBX file. Now follow the steps below:
- Press the Win+R button to open the Run window.
- Type regedit, press Enter.
- After opening the Registry Editor window, expand the folders in this manner:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Identities > XYZ > Software > Microsoft > Outlook Express > 5.0
- Now, on the right side locate the Store Root settings from the list and double-click it.
- The path will be displayed where OE stores its files. Copy the full path and move the mailbox files. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Close the OE program if it’s already opened.
- Paste the path to the Windows directory and click Enter.
- You can copy or move all the files from this location to a new location. Then delete all the files from the original location.
Now, you need to import the DBX files into OE. It’s easy for Outlook Express to import the file(s) without causing any trouble. Follow the steps below to do this:
- Open Outlook, click File >> Import >> Messages…
- In the next window choose the OE version from the list, click Next.
- Now, click Browse to choose the directory where the files are saved. Click Next.
- Choose the items to import and click Next.
- Finally, start Outlook Express and check the mailbox folders again.
When you are using Registry Editor don’t make any changes to it otherwise it may produce unwanted results.
Now, this was the manual method to repair corrupt .dbx file in outlook express which is very lengthy to perform and take too much time as well as it may not work in major corruptions. So, how to repair DBX file of Outlook Express? Now we should use a third-party utility to fix the corruption.
A Professional Method to Repair the Corrupted DBX File
Repair corrupted DBX file by using an automated utility that is DBX Recovery Tool. This tool recovers OE DBX files and restores them into multiple different file formats like EML, DBX, PST & RTF and also recovers Outlook Express metadata from impaired DBX files. It is compatible with Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, 2003, XP and 2000. Its demo version is completely free by which users can recover 10 emails freely.
I have discussed how to repair corrupt .dbx file in outlook express through the manual and professional method. As you saw, the manual method is lengthy to apply and very much time-consuming. That’s why I would suggest using a third-party utility for the easy repairing process of corrupted DBX files.