With this article, I will try to tell you various techniques, on how to retrieve emails from OST files. OST files are very crucial for Outlook users and corruption can hamper the smooth functioning of your MS Outlook. So these fine-tuned techniques would surely help you out in restoring or getting back your OST file data.
In general, Outlook saves its data un two file formats PST and OST respectively.
PST is a personal storage file whereas OST is an offline storage file.
OST file is used to keep the copy of your mailbox items like messages, contacts, calendar, tasks, notes, journal and so on. These mailbox items can be accessed without a network connection.
Unfortunately, there are situations when your OST files might get damaged or you unintentionally delete the file and all the data becomes inaccessible.
When you delete an email, then it gets stored in the ‘Deleted Items’ or ‘Trash’ folder.
You can easily retrieve your OST data from there.
Unfortunately, there are cases when the items present in the ‘Deleted Items’ gets deleted or you might have emptied the folder.
So now the question is how to retrieve OST file and its data?
To do so, I have mentioned below certain techniques which will help you in getting back the original data from Exchange OST files.
Methods to Get Back OST Data
Export OST to PST File
You can use this below method to get back your OST data when you are working on the same Microsoft Exchange profile.
- In Outlook, go to File menu, choose Open &Export >> Import/Export
- Under the Import & Export wizard, click on the Export to a file option > > Outlook data file (.pst).
- Select the required OST folders which have the Microsoft Exchange information and then click on Next.
- Provide the location for saving the recovered data, and then click on Finish.
- Now, copy the files from the PST to the mailbox folder.
Using Unique MAPI Address
This method is suggested only when your Microsoft Exchange profile is either deleted, changed or altered. For this situation, you have to create the synchronization between the offline folder file and Exchange Server.
Follow the below steps to do so:
- Make the connection between Outlook with the original Messaging Application Programming Interface MAPI.
- Now link the original MAPI with the Exchange Server.
Here, I would like to mention that these two methods will not work in the following situations:
- When the Exchange Server profile gets accidentally deleted and you don’t have the backup of data.
- When there is a high level of corruption in the OST file.
However, there is still is an alternate solution which can help you in recovering or restoring your offline OST file data. And that is, by using a professional OST File Recovery tool.
One of the most renowned tools in this segment is SysInfo Tools OST File Recovery tool.
This tool has many inbuilt features like it can repair and recover data from highly corrupted OST files plus it can easily get back your emails which has been deleted from OST files. You can even save the recovered data in the various other file formats like PST, MBOX, MSG and so on.
The software is quick and effective in resolving any type of OST error.
Through this article, I have tried to give you an easy solution to retrieve emails from OST file. You can try the manual method which is free, but in case of severe corruption go for the suggested tool.
Hope you liked this article.